Sunday, March 12, 2017



There are few things in life which bring more joy, more worry, more pride, or more sorrow than one's family. As a young parent, I remember thinking that someday my children would be grown and on their own and I could relax and not have to worry about them. Guess again. They grow up, move out, have their own families and then they come back, suffer crisis, share their concerns and, fortunately, remain a part of your life. They are what life is all about. They share their triumphs, their dreams, their experiences and continue to share their lives with you. Family relationships are eternal in nature and endure throughout this life, and I believe into the eternities, and I am glad for that.


As I take inventory of my family, I am grateful for children who are talented, intelligent, and caring people. They are exceptional in their own individual ways. I have children who excel in leadership, who are patient enough to debug a computer program (that patience didn't come from me), who can sing, write, save lives, teach, play musical instruments, and do so many more great things. The are contributing members of society who show compassion for others, who speak their minds yet try to understand others, they contribute. They are examples to the children they love, and work hard to see that their children know they are loved and supported. As I watch them progress through life, I see them working to instill in their children the values which will helped make them successful. As I quietly stand back and observe, I am proud of the men and women they have become.

In the twilight of my life, I sometime allow my mind to wander back to the days when they were young. I see a collection of happy urchins playing in the mud, catching fish at Pine Valley (or some just playing with caught fish), entertaining themselves in front of an old VHS camera with imaginations that could stifle the likes of Spielberg, or Lucas. Those are good memories for me. There are times when I wish I could go back in time even if for just a moment; go back and just stand back and watch the energy of their youth and their love for each another.

As I quietly watch them today, from a distance, I see that youthful love continually expressed as they support each other. I realize with regularity how lucky I am as I see them comfort each other, share their resources when one is in need, and as they laugh and work together. Each one is following their own path, but they are still, unquestionably family. Their in no question about the love they have for each other and for us as their parents. They are exceptional and I love them with all my heart. I hope they never question my love or the special place they hold in my heart. I hope they know just how special they are and how grateful I am that they are my children.


No comments: